[ Post a Response | The MusicWeb Message Board ]
CELEBRATING 43,000 Classical CD reviews on-line (Sept 2016); 21,000 page views each day.
Return to MusicWeb International
Posted by OP on December 16, 2014, 12:38 pm, in reply to "Re: Grammar"
I appreciate the fact that Musicweb's reviewers are 'amateurs' (in the best sense), and I didn't mean to single out Steve Arloff, whose reviews I too enjoy. I'm not a prescriptive grammarian by any stretch (meaning, Ralph Moore, that my second sentence contains for me no errors); I was merely drawing attention to the fact that the site's editor's prescriptive hand is evident in many 'reconfigured' phrases and sentences, but that it is also arbitrary - no true prescriptive grammarian would've permitted Steve Arloff's last paragraph to stand uncontested. I'm talking about things - eveidently missed by my respondents - like the plural subject pronoun beginning the second and third sentences contradicting the singular verb form used in the first and again in the fourth (quickly followed by a contradictory plural object) to refer to the same noun. Neither "this unusual combination" nor "this unusual line-up" have any obvious antecedent (it's actually two paragraphs further back in the article); if the "disparate collection" does indeed "encompass" Hummel and RVW, then Piazzolla, who died more than 30 years after RVW, cannot be part of the repertory; and there are other stylistic issues that might be questioned. Even Bottesini's name is misspelt.
The problem for me, though, is chiefly the fact that 'hopefully' is always replaced with 'it is to be hoped that', something that no 21st century English speaker in their right mind would say or write. If 'sadly' or 'luckily' and a million other sentence adverbs are OK (which they are on Musicweb), nothing can be held against this perfectly natural expression. So stop it, Mr Editor!
- Grammar - OP December 15, 2014, 10:52 pm
- Re: Grammar - Ralph Moore December 15, 2014, 11:03 pm
- Re: Grammar - Peter December 16, 2014, 12:27 am
- Re: Grammar - Brian Reinhart December 16, 2014, 4:16 am
- Re: Grammar - Ralph Moore December 16, 2014, 8:48 am
- Re: Grammar - Len Mullenger December 16, 2014, 9:48 am
- Re: Grammar - OP December 16, 2014, 12:38 pm
- Re: Grammar - Ralph Moore December 16, 2014, 1:29 pm
- Re: Grammar - OP December 16, 2014, 5:49 pm
- Re: Grammar - Ralph Moore December 16, 2014, 11:04 pm
- Re: Grammar - Dominy Clements December 17, 2014, 1:07 pm
- Re: Grammar - Bart O'Brien August 29, 2015, 1:27 pm
- Re: Grammar - Ford September 1, 2015, 4:37 am
« Back to index | View thread »
Thank you for taking part in the MusicWeb International Forum.
Len Mullenger - Founder of MusicWeb