[ Post a Response | The MusicWeb Message Board ]
CELEBRATING 43,000 Classical CD reviews on-line (Sept 2016); 21,000 page views each day.
Return to MusicWeb International
Posted by OP on December 16, 2014, 5:49 pm, in reply to "Grammar"
With respect, Ralph, judging by the other threads on this board, you seem the ultimate dispenser of precious criticism. My "through" belongs to the verb "allow" - they don't have to be next to each other ("the police finally allowed the traffic, which had built up enormously, through at 6pm"). Inelegant isn't the same as ungrammatical. Questions marks don't have to come at the ends of sentences, in which case they can be followed by any kind of punctuation (except a full stop, which would be superfluous).
You clearly can't see that, far from being a purist, I'm complaining about inconsistent purism on the editor's part. Usage IS the ultimate arbiter in language, but 'hopefully' was never wrong in the first place, what with all its co-defendants in English and cognates in other languages. I have nothing against plural verbs for apparently singular 'group' subjects; far from it. I was highlighting, as I shouldn't have to say, the INCONSISTENCY.
I'd concede that the standard of English on Musicweb is reasonably high, some of which is undoubtedly down to good editing practice. But some things, like "it is to be hoped that" have got to be stopped. Failing that, the inconsistencies I pointed out ought to be properly dealt with.
Now please stop browbeating everyone who posts even the slightest of criticisms on this page.
- Grammar - OP December 15, 2014, 10:52 pm
- Re: Grammar - Ralph Moore December 15, 2014, 11:03 pm
- Re: Grammar - Peter December 16, 2014, 12:27 am
- Re: Grammar - Brian Reinhart December 16, 2014, 4:16 am
- Re: Grammar - Ralph Moore December 16, 2014, 1:29 pm
- Re: Grammar - OP December 16, 2014, 5:49 pm
- Re: Grammar - Ralph Moore December 16, 2014, 11:04 pm
- Re: Grammar - Dominy Clements December 17, 2014, 1:07 pm
- Re: Grammar - Bart O'Brien August 29, 2015, 1:27 pm
- Re: Grammar - Ford September 1, 2015, 4:37 am
« Back to index | View thread »
Thank you for taking part in the MusicWeb International Forum.
Len Mullenger - Founder of MusicWeb