[ Post a Response | The MusicWeb Message Board ]
CELEBRATING 43,000 Classical CD reviews on-line (Sept 2016); 21,000 page views each day.
Return to MusicWeb International
Posted by Ralph Moore on December 16, 2014, 11:04 pm, in reply to "Re: Grammar
I have never heard of the verbal-prepositional construction "to allow through" which is presumably a coining analogous to "to let through" and I would, as an editor, ask for that to be rephrased to be clearer and less inelegant now that I finally see what the sense of it is meant to be. I think consistency is good but hard to achieve with so many contributors. I don't browbeat, I defend from unfair criticism and the kind of arbitrary authoritarianism which insists that certain constructions "have got to be stopped." If I am defensive of MusicWeb, it is because such petty quibbles are aiming at the trees rather than enjoying the beauty of the wood.
- Grammar - OP December 15, 2014, 10:52 pm
- Re: Grammar - Ralph Moore December 15, 2014, 11:03 pm
- Re: Grammar - Peter December 16, 2014, 12:27 am
- Re: Grammar - Brian Reinhart December 16, 2014, 4:16 am
- Re: Grammar - Ralph Moore December 16, 2014, 1:29 pm
- Re: Grammar - OP December 16, 2014, 5:49 pm
- Re: Grammar - Ralph Moore December 16, 2014, 11:04 pm
- Re: Grammar - Dominy Clements December 17, 2014, 1:07 pm
- Re: Grammar - Bart O'Brien August 29, 2015, 1:27 pm
- Re: Grammar - Ford September 1, 2015, 4:37 am
« Back to index | View thread »
Thank you for taking part in the MusicWeb International Forum.
Len Mullenger - Founder of MusicWeb