[ Post a Response | The MusicWeb Message Board ]
CELEBRATING 43,000 Classical CD reviews on-line (Sept 2016); 21,000 page views each day.
Return to MusicWeb International
Re: Richard Strauss Apline Symphony
"....has come back into favour among the critical fraternity and elsewhere". I have not counted the number of recordings of the Alpine Symphony currently available on cd (someone else might like to try!) but the list runs to several pages on one retailer's website. Many, many distinguished conductors have the work in their repertoire and many, many music-lovers obviously buy these recordings. I do not collect multiple versions of the same piece-but I do have versions of the Alpine Symphony by Herbert von Karajan, Herbert Blomstedt, Antoni Wit and Mariss Jansons. Whatever might be said about Karajan (!) I do not for one minute doubt the musical integrity of conductors like Blomstedt or Jansons. Neither would, I am confident, regard the piece as "over-blown, over-long" or "crude".
The Alpine Symphony is one of the last of the examples of late Romantic "excess" (if one wanted to be cruel about it). But similar assertions might be made about late Mahler or about Gurreleider. You are perfectly entitled to your dislike of the work. You clearly find it full of "hollow bombast". I love the work. I do not share your opinions. I do not see it in the context of "the barbarities of World War One" or in the context of "Fascism/Nazism" and the implication that those of us who do love the Symphony should see it in that context, are blind to its extra-musical context and are-again by implication-in some sense "sympathetic" to the contextual background I actually find somewhat offensive!
- Richard Strauss Apline Symphony - Geoff Diggines December 13, 2016, 10:47 am
- Re: Richard Strauss Apline Symphony - Ralph Moore December 13, 2016, 1:31 pm
- Re: Richard Strauss Apline Symphony - Des Hutchinson December 13, 2016, 1:33 pm
- Re: Richard Strauss Apline Symphony - Colin Mackie December 13, 2016, 2:05 pm
- Re: Richard Strauss Apline Symphony - paul corfield godfrey December 13, 2016, 2:22 pm
- Re: Richard Strauss Apline Symphony - Nick Barnard December 14, 2016, 12:14 am
- Re: Richard Strauss Apline Symphony - Dominy Clements December 15, 2016, 11:09 am
« Back to index | View thread »
Thank you for taking part in the MusicWeb International Forum.
Len Mullenger - Founder of MusicWeb