[ Post a Response | The MusicWeb Message Board ]
CELEBRATING 43,000 Classical CD reviews on-line (Sept 2016); 21,000 page views each day.
Return to MusicWeb International
Re: Richard Strauss Apline Symphony
Edited by board administrator December 15, 2016, 9:26 am
Nick, totally agree with your last point re 'massive compression' of the news agenda. Walter Benjamin wrote about this in Weimar (20's) Berlin, were over 50 daily mags newspaper were available. How could such an advanced culture (or a large part) be taken in by the 'little Austrian Corporal'? Maybe this 'massive compression' had something to do with that eventual tragedy? But today you can instantly access thousands of world headlines on your smart-phone! Your point about 'alignment' with Nazism, was certainly a feature of Adorno's and Max Horkheimer's 'Critical Theory. Adorno, who was a composer/pianist/music theorist, even went so far as to accuse Sibelius of Fascist/Nationalist sympathies, he also wrote some rubbish about Debussy and Shostakovich, and broke with Weill for staying and making money in America. But I do think you have to consider his context; his life totally disrupted/threatened, (exiled) by the Nazi's. Also, in a strange way, his 'Negative Dialectics' takes the rights and wrongs of his argument on to another level - all too complex to go into. I just read another 'review' in an established broad-sheet by an eminent 'critic' and it was just two short paragraphs of unsubstantiated opinion. This is worse than any form of eclecticism! And the said critic will be paid quite well... Similarly I also enjoy the same generosity,' no limits on space' in my reviews for Seen and Heard. But I wonder if anybody really reads them, in this post-modern world of multiple headlines, and sound-bites???
I cannot tell if people actually read the content of the pages but I can tell you have over a quarter of a million pages are looked at every month.
- Richard Strauss Apline Symphony - Geoff Diggines December 13, 2016, 10:47 am
- Re: Richard Strauss Apline Symphony - Ralph Moore December 13, 2016, 1:31 pm
- Re: Richard Strauss Apline Symphony - Des Hutchinson December 13, 2016, 1:33 pm
- Re: Richard Strauss Apline Symphony - Colin Mackie December 13, 2016, 2:05 pm
- Re: Richard Strauss Apline Symphony - paul corfield godfrey December 13, 2016, 2:22 pm
- Re: Richard Strauss Apline Symphony - Nick Barnard December 14, 2016, 12:14 am
- Re: Richard Strauss Apline Symphony - Dominy Clements December 15, 2016, 11:09 am
« Back to index | View thread »
Thank you for taking part in the MusicWeb International Forum.
Len Mullenger - Founder of MusicWeb