[ Post a Response | The MusicWeb Message Board ]
CELEBRATING 43,000 Classical CD reviews on-line (Sept 2016); 21,000 page views each day.
Return to MusicWeb International
Re: Alexander Brent-Smith
Posted by david brown on December 19, 2016, 6:30 pm, in reply to "Re: Alexander Brent-Smith"
Thanks Nick... yes, that is the crucial question. I'm afraid I have no aural memory whatever of the three Brent Smith works I did hear, but Robert was always very choosy about pieces he included in his concerts (within the broad and yes, rather conservative, then-forgotten non-repertoire of the ‘British Musical Renaissance’ of about 1880-1950). Certainly the persona that comes through Brent Smith’s little book ‘Studies and Caprices’ is pretty schoolmasterly and unsympathetic towards what was then modernism (1926). Personally I’d group him with someone like his exact contemporary, Armstrong Gibbs — equally prolific, equally conservative, equally involved with music education, but to whom history has been somewhat more kind with the CDs that have been issued by Hyperion, Dutton and others, and the splendid new biography and works study by Angela Aries and Lewis Foreman. One thing Robert did mention to me was that apparently Brent Smith’s Piano Concerto was premiered by Clifford Curzon, who wasn’t exactly undiscriminating in his choice of repertoire. Bottom line is, the sooner someone who knows what they are looking for gets into the RCM Library and spends some time with all those manuscripts the better.
- Alexander Brent-Smith - Nick Barnard December 14, 2016, 11:08 am
- Re: Alexander Brent-Smith - paul corfield godfrey December 14, 2016, 10:56 pm
- Re: Alexander Brent-Smith - Rob Barnett December 15, 2016, 9:37 pm
- Re: Alexander Brent-Smith - Nick Barnard December 15, 2016, 11:52 pm
- Re: Alexander Brent-Smith - John Quinn December 16, 2016, 12:10 pm
- Re: Alexander Brent-Smith - David J Brown December 17, 2016, 11:00 pm
- Re: Alexander Brent-Smith - Nick Barnard December 19, 2016, 4:57 pm
- Re: Alexander Brent-Smith - david brown December 19, 2016, 6:30 pm
- Re: Alexander Brent-Smith - Simon Deschenes November 19, 2017, 3:39 pm
« Back to index | View thread »
Thank you for taking part in the MusicWeb International Forum.
Len Mullenger - Founder of MusicWeb