[ Post a Response | The MusicWeb Message Board ]
CELEBRATING 43,000 Classical CD reviews on-line (Sept 2016); 21,000 page views each day.
Return to MusicWeb International
Re: First night of the Proms
Posted by Ford on July 17, 2017, 3:10 am, in reply to "Re: First night of the Proms"
The problem is not the presenter but the producer. What is the point of such faff? It isn't to "sell" the show to the viewer, since if they've just sat through a Beethoven concerto they need no selling.
It might just be an easy way to fill time.
It might also be that the producer is simply following the style of much "accessible" classical music presentation, exemplified by the various recent "documentary" series and specials I've seen that are simply puff-pieces produced by the record companies.
Presumably this approach works in commercial terms. Someone is buying all those Andre Rieu/Il Divo/Sarah Brightman records. And every year, new virtuosos are dressed like dolly birds on the covers of their debut records, even if the contents show some seriousness.
There's money in fluff, and that's why fluff is respected and given prominence.
- First night of the Proms - Geoff Diggines July 15, 2017, 9:29 am
- Re: First night of the Proms - Ralph Moore July 15, 2017, 12:49 pm
- Re: First night of the Proms - Colin Mackie July 16, 2017, 12:08 am
- Re: First night of the Proms - Chris Howell July 16, 2017, 7:31 am
- Re: First night of the Proms - Ford July 17, 2017, 3:10 am
- Re: First night of the Proms - Johan van Veen July 18, 2017, 10:11 pm
« Back to index | View thread »
Thank you for taking part in the MusicWeb International Forum.
Len Mullenger - Founder of MusicWeb