[ Post a Response | The MusicWeb Message Board ]
CELEBRATING 43,000 Classical CD reviews on-line (Sept 2016); 21,000 page views each day.
Return to MusicWeb International
Re: Shostakovich 11
Posted by Ford on January 29, 2018, 1:57 am, in reply to "Re: Shostakovich 11"
I share Dan's opinion about the Rostropovich recordings of 11. I heard his Washington recording first (powerful and impressive; great sound), and found the LSO version very disappointing. It is strange that the latter was so praised while the earlier recording has largely been ignored. (I was also unimpressed by Berglund's version.)
The other strong disc from the Rostropovich set contains symphonies 6 and 12. This performance ALMOST makes 12 work - except no one (including Rostropovich) has figured out how to stop the finale becoming a bore. But this is the best I've heard, with the same virtues as R's performance of 11.
- Shostakovich 11 - dieter barkhoff January 26, 2018, 11:02 pm
- Re: Shostakovich 11 - Dan Morgan January 27, 2018, 7:46 pm
- Re: Shostakovich 11 - dieter barkhoff January 27, 2018, 11:52 pm
- Re: Shostakovich 11 - Ford January 29, 2018, 1:57 am
- Re: Shostakovich 11 - paul corfield godfrey January 29, 2018, 12:05 pm
- Re: Shostakovich 11 - Lee Denham February 1, 2018, 3:13 pm
« Back to index | View thread »
Thank you for taking part in the MusicWeb International Forum.
Len Mullenger - Founder of MusicWeb