[ Post a Response | The MusicWeb Message Board ]
CELEBRATING 43,000 Classical CD reviews on-line (Sept 2016); 21,000 page views each day.
Return to MusicWeb International
Re: Rattle again!
Just to pick up on one point made by Geoff. I am sorry if I gave the impression that I do not put great importance on a conductor's technique. I most certainly do! Technique has always varied enormously of course. One thinks of Richard Strauss or of Furtwangler himself with their very individualistic approach! An orchestra needs to know and to understand what the conductor wants-which is why rehearsal is so important.
Whether however the conductor remains wholly or largely facially impassive or indulges in "facial contortions" is however another matter. It might be argued that such facial expressions demonstrate how "inside" the music the conductor actually is but demonstrably this is far from being a universal truth. From many great conductors' faces during a performance one might conclude that they had no interest in the music at all!
What ultimately matters is the end result. And the end result for me in the music I have heard conducted by Rattle is polish without inspiration. And it is for that reason, as I said in my original post, that I doubt that his recordings will ever be any sort of benchmarks or be remembered in decades to come.
- Rattle again! - Geoff Diggines August 27, 2018, 11:46 am
- Re: Rattle again! - Ford August 28, 2018, 2:53 am
- Re: Rattle again! - Colin Mackie August 28, 2018, 5:30 pm
- Re: Rattle again! - Geoff Diggines August 30, 2018, 8:31 am
- Re: Rattle again! - Colin Mackie August 31, 2018, 2:49 pm
- Re: Rattle again! - Dieter Barkhoff August 30, 2018, 8:54 am
- Re: Rattle again! - Marc September 4, 2018, 8:28 am
« Back to index | View thread »
Thank you for taking part in the MusicWeb International Forum.
Len Mullenger - Founder of MusicWeb