[ Post a Response | The MusicWeb Message Board ]
CELEBRATING 43,000 Classical CD reviews on-line (Sept 2016); 21,000 page views each day.
Return to MusicWeb International
Re: Rattle again!
Posted by dieter barkhoff on October 9, 2018, 12:10 pm, in reply to "Re: Rattle again!
I read Monday's review of Rattle's Berlin Beethoven cycle by Michael Cookson with increasing astonishment. To be fair, I haven't heard it but I've read Huntley Dent's damning Fanfare review and I have to conclude that one man's meat is often another man's poison. It probably explains why some musicians and conductors 'speak' to me - Furtwangler, Jochum, Klemperer, Sanderling, Arrau, Gilels, Oistrakh, Giulini, Harnoncourt, Reinhard Goebel, Diego Fasolis - and others sound like a variation of Hottentot/Mongolian Double Dutch to me - Karajan, Solti, Haitink, Rattle, Abbado, Pollini, Heifetz, Toscanini. In other words, they speak in tongues I don't understand.
It probably explains why Schoenberg makes my skin crawl, whereas I find Webern and Berg make sounds like music. To each his or her own, I guess.
- Rattle again! - Geoff Diggines August 27, 2018, 11:46 am
- Re: Rattle again! - Ford August 28, 2018, 2:53 am
- Re: Rattle again! - Colin Mackie August 28, 2018, 5:30 pm
- Re: Rattle again! - Marc September 4, 2018, 8:28 am
- Re: Rattle again! - geoff Diggines September 6, 2018, 8:25 am
- Re: Rattle again! - dieter barkhoff October 9, 2018, 12:10 pm
- Re: Rattle again! - Dieter Barkhoff November 1, 2018, 2:50 am
« Back to index | View thread »
Thank you for taking part in the MusicWeb International Forum.
Len Mullenger - Founder of MusicWeb