[ Post a Response | The MusicWeb Message Board ]
CELEBRATING 43,000 Classical CD reviews on-line (Sept 2016); 21,000 page views each day.
Return to MusicWeb International
Re: Don Carlo(s) - woodcutters, quattro et cinq!
Opera Depot and Opera Passion both have a 1975 Karajan 4 act version from Salzburg with Domingo, Freni, Cappuccilli, Ludwig, Ghiaurov that is not to be missed. Luxury casting with Van Dam as the monk and Tomowa Sintow as the voice from heaven. A Gheorghe Crasnaru as the Inquisitor--I'm not familiar with him, but he sounds suitably aged and menacing, which I prefer to the aggressive stylings of Talvela on the Stein.
Excellent sonics, significantly better than the 1977 Abbado La Scala or the 1979 Karajan Vienna recordings. I don't know of another stronger overall cast and performance in close to equally good sound. As is often the case with Domingo, he is more stirring and dramatically engaged here on stage than in either of his studio recordings. The entire cast is on fire, with the one exception that Christa Ludwig wasn't in great voice that night and labors a little in O Don Fatale. Beautifully conducted by Karajan and played by the Vienna Phil, without the annoying and artificial dynamic range of his studio recording.
- Don Carlo(s) - woodcutters, quattro et cinq! - Lee Denham July 15, 2018, 12:25 pm
- Re: Don Carlo(s) - woodcutters, quattro et cinq! - Lee Denham July 15, 2018, 8:54 pm
- Re: Don Carlo(s) - woodcutters, quattro et cinq! - Ralph Moore July 15, 2018, 10:29 pm
- Re: Don Carlo(s) - woodcutters, quattro et cinq! - Lee Denham July 16, 2018, 9:31 pm
- Re: Don Carlo(s) - woodcutters, quattro et cinq! - Jae October 29, 2018, 7:50 am
« Back to index | View thread »
Thank you for taking part in the MusicWeb International Forum.
Len Mullenger - Founder of MusicWeb