[ Post a Response | The MusicWeb Message Board ]
CELEBRATING 43,000 Classical CD reviews on-line (Sept 2016); 21,000 page views each day.
Return to MusicWeb International
Re: Mahler 7
Posted by dieter barkhoff on April 15, 2019, 12:02 pm, in reply to "Re: Mahler 7
Agree about your view of the 7th, Ford. Serenade or no, it's a kind of pastoral romp, peasants merrymaking, if you like. I have the Bertini Mahler cycle and I've always loved it, apart from the 8th.
An old friend of mine - a 78 fanatic, a man who talked about Beecham and Mengleberg, who wiped the dust off his records with anything lying about, including his children's dirty socks - said to me one day that a lot of Mahler reminded him of lightning hitting a shithouse, especially Solti's recording of the 2nd. I was reminded of this when you described the crashing aspect of the last movement of the First. Just thought I'd share it..
- Mahler 7 - dieter barkhoff April 11, 2019, 1:28 am
- Re: Mahler 7 - Ralph Moore April 12, 2019, 9:34 am
- Re: Mahler 7 - dieter barkhoff April 13, 2019, 2:38 am
- Re: Mahler 7 - Ford April 15, 2019, 2:33 am
- Re: Mahler 7 - dieter barkhoff April 15, 2019, 12:02 pm
« Back to index | View thread »
Thank you for taking part in the MusicWeb International Forum.
Len Mullenger - Founder of MusicWeb