[ Post a Response | The MusicWeb Message Board ]
CELEBRATING 43,000 Classical CD reviews on-line (Sept 2016); 21,000 page views each day.
Return to MusicWeb International
Re: You had to be there...
I shall be hearing Terfel as Boris this Thursday and am hoping that his voice has worn rather better than I fear it has. Certainly a performer's charisma can help distract from any vocal flaws, just a s recording can sometimes amplify them; this was surely the case with Callas, for example.
I can never see the point of watching opera DVDs but I do listen to a lot of opera on CD - while always bearing in mind that it is a very different experience from attending a life performance. Clearly some voices take much better to the recording medium than others but the greatest risk is that engineers have unnaturally boosted a voce which turns out to be rather smaller than it seemed on disc. I'm afraid I found that to be the case with both Hvorostovsky and Kaufmann, for example, but I certainly cannot embrace Marc's rather extreme stricture that opera "should only ever be experienced live"!
- You had to be there... - Rob Maynard June 21, 2019, 3:01 pm
- Re: You had to be there... - Ralph Moore June 21, 2019, 5:33 pm
- Re: You had to be there... - Paul Serotsky June 23, 2019, 5:13 am
- Re: You had to be there... - Robert Cummings June 23, 2019, 2:39 pm
- Re: You had to be there... - Marc Bridle June 25, 2019, 12:30 am
- Re: You had to be there... - Ralph Moore June 25, 2019, 9:38 pm
« Back to index | View thread »
Thank you for taking part in the MusicWeb International Forum.
Len Mullenger - Founder of MusicWeb