Ari Eisinger's Acoustic Blues Message Board
[ Post a Response | Ari Eisinger's Acoustic Blues Message Board ]
Re: Value of a Gibson L-00??
Boy, I would sure go ahead and have the work done. In good playable condition the guitar would likely be worth over $1500. Perhaps much more, depending on condition and especially if the original bridge is retained and the repair is done well and is not very noticeable. I have seen L-00's going for over $2500 and they weren't really in mint condition. You don't really have to send the guitar to Gibson, or neccesarily an authorized dealer, as the company and guitars have changed quite a bit since 1940. There are many fine luthiers, more familiar with vintage guitars, accross the country, who could do this work for you, and it would be good to be in personal contact with the person working on your guitar. $400 sounds a little steep, but that may be due to the work required to undo the damage of the original, amatuerish, repair. You might try some other boards, where advice on guitars abounds, for help in finding a top notch vintage luthier near you. Try [url=http://www.acousticguitar.com/ubbcgi/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=1&forum=Gear&DaysPrune=60&startpoint=0]Acoustic Guitar's Gear forum[/url], [url=http://pub169.ezboard.com/fstefangrossmansguitarworkshopfrm2] Stefan Grossman's Woodshed[/url] or [url=http://www.guitarseminars.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=The+Guitar+Forum&number=1] the IGS Forum[/url]. The only other advice I would offer is to do a complete job to bring the guitar to excellent playing condition so that action and intonation are right where you want them. Don't take any short cuts to save a few bucks. Any money you put into a good vintage guitar will likely increase the value even more.
An L-00 makes a fine blues guitar, eh, Ari?
All for now.
- Re: Value of a Gibson L-00?? - Ed September 11, 2004, 3:49 pm
- thank you - Jealgenania March 21, 2012, 1:46 am
- re: value of a 1973' Gibson J55 in good condition - John S Rowland March 9, 2007, 11:54 pm
- Re: Pictures of a Gibson L-00?? - harry February 17, 2007, 11:01 am
- peuterey - peuterey December 30, 2013, 10:25 pm
- Re: Value of a Gibson L-00?? - WILLIAM November 26, 2005, 8:59 pm
- Re: Value of a Gibson L-00?? - waxwing September 11, 2004, 4:28 pm
- Re: Value of a Gibson L-00?? - waxwing September 11, 2004, 2:14 pm
Hosted for FREE by Boardhost.
Create your own free message board!