The iguana is a 5 year old female that had a bladder stone removed (ovaries were also removed since we were already going in for the stone).
We did an opioid for pain at the beginning, an antibiotic, and an antiinflamitory as well...
We were seeing small amounts of eating at the beginning, as well as some decent sized fecals.
We were adding some treats to the food (banana) to encourage eating, but since the animal seemed to be holding out for the banana (and only eating that while ignoring the rest) the vet and I felt it would be best to discontinue the banana. Now we are getting no eating or fecals.
She will drink from a water dish (and I have caught her doing it on a few occasions) but food is not something she is interested in.
She isn't lethargic (she has been spending a large amount of time trying to get out of the enclosure each day).
We have been back to the vet twice since the surgery (which was on 10/24).
The first time was 10 days post surgery, and was due to a tiny spot on the suture that looked bloody. It turned out this was do to her scraping a small spot of the evert stitching that was used to close the incision. At the same appointment the vet did a rectal exam and an ultrasound and said she felt the surgery was successful with no complications. It was also at this point that the decision was made to discontinue the treats.
The second appointment was last wednesday, and was due to the fact that eating and pooping seemed to be decreasing. Again the vet did a rectal and a ultrasound and found no abrormalities. We also did a blood work and found zero issues with that (kidney, liver, etc all normal) other than the obviously expected high white count. We also took a weight and found a one ounce decrease since the surgery (not really sure how that is possible). At this point the vet prescribed metronidazole in an attempt to get the eating going but after 4 days still nothing on that front.
At this point I am convinced the blood test must be inaccurate & that this animal is actually in a lot worse shape than the vet suspects (yes this is a very qualified herp vet who als lives with iguanas so i am not suspicious of anything there). So at the very least I intend to go back for monthly blood works (starting next Wednesday) until I am more convinced that the results are accurate.
In my opinion (although the vet said otherwise when I asked her outright) this animal will probably not make it until the end of the year.
We go in for stitch removal on this upcoming Wednesday and I an not real certain about what else could be causing this issue. The animal was doing great right up until the surgery, but seems to have taken a real dive since. At this point I'm starting to wonder if euthanization would be the best thing to do.