Re: Men in pearls
Posted by Boris on June 17, 2012, 7:20 am, in reply to "Re: Men in pearls"
Great banner! |
And a great reminder of the fact that the perception of grand jewelry being reserved foremost to female wearers is actually
a very recent one in history, and also limited to the western world.
Perhaps a good occasion to post a few more pics of male Royals from the past wearing jewelry?
King Henry VIII, 1509
Also in the banner, a pearl earring that set a male fashion trend at the time: King Charles I as Prince of Wales, 1615
Prince Albert von Thurn und Taxis, ca. 1890
Left: Sri Krishna Wadiyar Bahadur, Maharaja of Mysore, ca. 1920; center: ?, right: the King of Nepal, ca. 1920
: Pearls look great on men. We should
: reintroduce that custom.
: --Previous Message--
: Since we are still in June, for the banner I
: thought I'd highlight some male rulers from
: a broad spectrum of periods and cultures who
: wore pearls.
: They are from left to right, Philip III of
: Spain, Fat'h-Ali Shah Qajar of Persia,
: Justinian I Emperor of the Byzantine Empire,
: Maharaja Sir Sri Krishnaraja Wodiyar IV
: Bahadur of Mysore, and Charles I as Prince
: of Wales.
Message Thread | Skip to this response ↓|
- Men in pearls - Baxter June 16, 2012, 4:01 pm
- Fantastic! - Cynthia June 16, 2012, 4:41 pm
- Re: Men in pearls - Christian June 16, 2012, 4:43 pm
- Re: Men in pearls - ErikS June 17, 2012, 2:20 am
- Re: Men in pearls - Boris June 17, 2012, 7:20 am
- Re: Men in pearls - Dawn June 17, 2012, 10:19 pm
- Re: Men in pearls - Count75 June 28, 2012, 9:09 am
« Back to index | View thread »