sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 7, 2024 10:45 am  #1

Disney+ To Add Some ESPN Content. What Happens In Canada?

It's not surprising that Disney, which owns the streaming service, ABC and ESPN, has announced it will be adding "select live games and studio shows from" its all sports channel, as it strives to add even more content to its pay
offering.

I think it's TSN that owns the rights to most ESPN programming in Canada, which leads to the question of what happens when there's a conflict? Do they just simply not offer it here? Or will they substitute something else?

I know that there are dual feeds for some streamers, which practice a kind of Internet simsub when the rights for specific programs are sold to Canadian cable stations. But I don't think Disney has done any of that, so it will be interesting to see how they handle it when the time comes.

ESPN Programming Coming To Disney+ By Year-End; Bob Iger Calls It A “First Step” Toward Flagship Sports Launch In 2025

May 7, 2024 4:30 pm  #2

Re: Disney+ To Add Some ESPN Content. What Happens In Canada?

I don't understand why they would do this.  What is the point putting some "select sports" on Disney+.
Who cares if it is offered here..  

May 7, 2024 5:14 pm  #3

paterson1 wrote:

I don't understand why they would do this.  What is the point putting some "select sports" on Disney+.

These here-and-there one-offs are practice runs. The leagues and streamers get to work on the logistics of things like bandwidth and ad-insertion, all while warming the audience up to the idea of live sports being on the streaming services they use for the rest of their TV viewing.

It's the toe in the pool, and the cannonball is coming faster than many may think.

May 7, 2024 5:59 pm  #4

RadioAaron wrote:

It's the toe in the pool, and the cannonball is coming faster than many may think.

& I still believe there will be mergers. Company A will buy Comany B, giving less choice, hopefully keeping sports in ONE place without having to go all over the place to view one's favourite sport.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 7, 2024 6:03 pm  #5

There will have to be; it'll sort itself out.

May 7, 2024 11:19 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

Regardless of reason, they are going full speed ahead with it.
Caitlin’s Clark’s WNBA Debut to Stream on Disney+: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/caitlins-clark-wnba-debut-stream-on-disney-plus-1235892635/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.