[ Post a Response | The MusicWeb Message Board ]
CELEBRATING 43,000 Classical CD reviews on-line (Sept 2016); 21,000 page views each day.
Return to MusicWeb International
Re: Rattle again!
Posted by geoff Diggines on September 6, 2018, 8:25 am, in reply to "Re: Rattle again!
Marc speaks well of Rattle's conducting of Suk's magnificent Asrael Symphony. He also notes that Rattle no longer conducts the work - what a blessing! It was loud, disjointed and totally lacking in the more poetic and lyrical parts. Rattle had no idea of the works dramatic power, and its subtle symphonic structure. To understand the work one should listen to Talich's classic 1952 recording with the superb Czech Philharmonic. Talich knew Suk and well was the inspiration for Mackerras's recent fine recording with the same orchestra.
Message Thread | This response ↓|
Rattle again! - Geoff Diggines August 27, 2018, 11:46 am
- Re: Rattle again! - Ford August 28, 2018, 2:53 am
- Re: Rattle again! - Colin Mackie August 28, 2018, 5:30 pm
- Re: Rattle again! - Marc September 4, 2018, 8:28 am
- Re: Rattle again! - geoff Diggines September 6, 2018, 8:25 am
- Re: Rattle again! - Dieter Barkhoff November 1, 2018, 2:50 am
« Back to index | View thread »
Thank you for taking part in the MusicWeb International Forum.
Len Mullenger - Founder of MusicWeb