sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 5, 2024 3:24 pm  #1

Was 55% CanCon Mandated On TV Back In 1964? The Answer May Be Yes

I came across this odd article from Dec. 31, 1963, one day before the New Year. It was a story in the Toronto Star about concerns by the Board of Broadcast Governors (the forerunner of the CRTC) over whether "Community Antenna Systems," (i.e. the precursor of cable) was bringing in enough Canadian content. 

I always thought the CanCon arguments began in the late 60s and early 70s. But this seems to provide evidence that those in charge of regulating TV were concerned about this long before most of us had ever heard about it. An interesting side note that proves this issue goes back a lot farther than most of us ever knew. 

Even more surprising is this statement from the story. "At present, regular TV stations and networks must observe a 55 per cent Canadian content rule." 

55%? I honestly don't recall there being that many Canadian productions on TV (except for maybe CBC and CHCH) way back then. I recall a lot of American imports, a practice that continues to this day. But that ratio definitely seems a little high. It certainly isn't that much now. 

Last edited by RadioActive (May 5, 2024 3:30 pm)

May 5, 2024 7:11 pm  #2

Re: Was 55% CanCon Mandated On TV Back In 1964? The Answer May Be Yes

Geez, forget the dull story about the Board of Broadcast Governors.
You buried the lede.
The real story is the 12-year-old boy and a man who saved two little girls from death in a sewage pond!
Also times have changed.
Nowadays if you save kids from a sewage pond it means you stopped them from reading social media.

May 5, 2024 9:26 pm  #3

Hasn't there always been cancon percentages for TV?  Even back in the 50's.  Wasn't that the whole purpose of CBC TV?

Even though the quotas today are about the same there is much more cancon scripted programming produced and having success internationally.  Not many Canadian productions were shown outside of the country in the 50's-80's.

Sadly, the issue has always been getting these programs actually shown in their own country and in better time slots. Over the last few years because of the writers strike, COVID and most US prime time shows not drawing ratings anymore this has changed somewhat.

CBC and CTV in particular have had success selling their scripted shows to streaming services and networks worldwide.  The most successful like Heartland, Murdoch Mysteries, Degrassi, Sullivan's Crossing, Hudson and Rex, Letterkenny, Rookie Blue, Son of a Critch etc.and all set in Canada. 

May 5, 2024 9:32 pm  #4

Obviously, the CBC is a different animal, with close to 100% Canadian content. But surely (and no, I'm not calling you Shirley) CTV and Global don't approach 55% these days. That would mean more than half of their shows fit the Canadian content definition. With all the American imports on their schedules, I simply can't believe that's true. Unless they're allowing them to count for news and daytime programming. Maybe then. (And Bell wants to cut back on what they insist is money-losing news programming on their stations, and in some markets, already have.)

But there certainly isn't 55% in primetime.

May 5, 2024 11:27 pm  #5

CRTC tends to look at the broadcast day, so 55-60% is likely still correct.  Naturally they can count news and daytime programming 6am to 6pm. 

And the CRTC doesn't use 8-11pm normally as prime time.  Again they look more at 6pm to midnight. 

This week looking at the schedules daytime and evening.  Global looks to have about 75% cancon 6am to 6pm Monday to Friday.  Evening weekdays are 30-60% and 100% Saturday evening. 

CTV has 60% cancon weekdays and 30-40% evenings on Saturday and Sunday evening 50%.

CityTV comes in this week at 50% daytime.  Evenings weekday Monday 60%, Tuesday 75%, Wednesday 25%, Thursday 40% and Friday 60%.  Saturday 70% with hockey.

Probably it would be more accurate in October or February when we are closer to normal programming.  Also new Canadian scripted programs have wrapped up for the year with the exception of Sullivan's Crossing and Law and Order Toronto.    

Last edited by paterson1 (May 6, 2024 10:00 am)

May 6, 2024 8:12 am  #6

55% CanCon?  That goes a long way to explain the likes of 'The Littlest Hobo' and 'The Trouble With Tracy'...

May 6, 2024 8:14 am  #7

Yep. They said it had to be Canadian. They never mandated that it had to be good. 

May 6, 2024 10:00 am  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Yep. They said it had to be Canadian. They never mandated that it had to be good. 

I know that some will disagree with me, but if you actually look at the schedules of CTV, Global, City their daytime cancon shows for the most part are well chosen.  I was surprised by Global with so much weekday cancon currently at 75%.  Most of the shows are home improvement programming or food shows from their specialty channels. To me this is totally acceptable and programming that those in the market would watch.  CBC's afternoon lineup is strong with news at noon, a few repeats and some British import shows mixed in. 

Everyone doesn't like game shows, and besides we already get plenty of those in prime time. 

The daytime programming on the Canadian channels is not really any worse or better than any others in my opinion.  CTV's two daytime talk shows are popular and they bill The Social as the #1 daytime talk show on Canadian TV.