sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 6, 2024 5:41 pm  #1

I Could Live With Shane Hewitt Doing "The Rush" On CFRB

We know for certain that the Reshmni Nair era is over on CFRB's afternoon drive show. But we still have no idea who will be sitting in that air chair when they finally make a decision on a permanent new host. To this day, whoever is on the 2-6 PM shift still refers to themselves as a "guest." 

They've had various people on air over the months and months of this, like Deb Hutton, Bob Reid and Richard Crouse doing their best to carry the thing along. But Shane Hewitt, having done his share of talk shows overnight on Corus' "The Shift," really seems to have the best handle on it and unlike the others, he's a radio veteran first.

I wouldn't be unhappy if they handed the "shift" to him whenever they finally get around to officially announcing a name. Whenever that might be. John Oakley could use some decent competition. 

May 6, 2024 5:56 pm  #2

Re: I Could Live With Shane Hewitt Doing "The Rush" On CFRB

Oakley needs some competition.
Every once in a while in my car I tune to 640 to see what he's up to.
I can never listen long.
The other day he spent a long segment -- get this -- listing the many lies told by Joe Biden.
He and his producer listed, with sneering comments these-so-called "lies".
At one point Oakley quickly alluded to Donald Trump, saying he would not comment on Trump because he is involved in a court case.
Huuuuh???!
The whole freakin' world is reporting on Trump's outrageous psychopathic narcissistic lies outside the New York courtroom.
But apparently Joe Biden is the terrible liar.
Oakley did not even bother to give attribution to Biden's purported lies.
Hopefully a real credible broadcaster can get the gig at The Rush.
Not John Tory, though.

May 6, 2024 6:21 pm  #3

Perhaps Oakley is concerned that freak ionospheric activity may give 640's signal a boost and cause it to be heard by jurors in New York City, causing a mistral?

May 6, 2024 6:26 pm  #4

yes, that must be it.

May 7, 2024 8:19 am  #5

newsguy1 wrote:

I can never listen long.

Oakley can be an affable, engaging fellow but he must have a screw loose as he takes delight in allowing the airwaves to be polluted by the likes of such toxic folk as David “The Menzoid” Menzies and Charles McVety.

May 7, 2024 8:45 am  #6

To be fair, I haven't heard McVety on his show in years. I think Menzies was on once after his recent arrest, but other than that, I don't remember hearing him that often. 

May 7, 2024 8:56 am  #7

Oakley's been a broadcast zombie since Rob Ford left him. What he's done since is merely muscle memory.

May 7, 2024 4:07 pm  #8

g121 wrote:

newsguy1 wrote:

I can never listen long.

Oakley can be an affable, engaging fellow but he must have a screw loose as he takes delight in allowing the airwaves to be polluted by the likes of such toxic folk as David “The Menzoid” Menzies and Charles McVety.

They've been gone for many years.  Lou Schizas, Sue-Anne Levy, the Raging Redhead, Lord Black, Frank Stronach and many others have come and gone since McVety was a regular.  Even old Ernie Eves seems to have gone by the wayside.  Only Oakley and his Yuk-yuk's wannabe producer are left to get through the day.  Still better than anything 1010 shovels out, though.

May 7, 2024 5:03 pm  #9

1010 at least has Vassy Kapelos.
She is a well-qualified journalist, not that it means only a journalist can be good at talk radio, clearly that's not true.
But, oh what is former journalist and now mostly entertainer host John Moore coming to?
Now that he's staying on until 10 am I have caught his act over the last few months, and I am getting tired of his increasing penchant to sound like your name-dropping colleague at work who is constantly talking about his golf game and who he had lunch with.  It goes something like:
"... I was playing golf with the deputy police chief yesterday, before we dropped in on a delightful little bistro, where I had a fabulous lobster bisque."
Gosh, really relatable, John.

May 8, 2024 6:42 am  #10

Walter wrote:

g121 wrote:

newsguy1 wrote:

I can never listen long.

They've been gone for many years.  Lou Schizas, Sue-Anne Levy, the Raging Redhead, Lord Black, Frank Stronach and many others have come and gone since McVety was a regular.  Even old Ernie Eves seems to have gone by the wayside.  Only Oakley and his Yuk-yuk's wannabe producer are left to get through the day.  Still better than anything 1010 shovels out, though.

Levy, Raging Redhead & Black were just more airwave pollution as McVety & Menzies .. just like Agar on 1010, turn the dial. 

I'll admit, I mostly didn't mind Schizas ..