sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 5, 2024 1:42 pm  #1

An ode to ads...

I see a lot of posts about irritating ads, like Spence, a travel company with the 2 women screeching and yes, sometimes the Subaru ads can be annoying.

On this post, I want to focus on the ads you like, miss or love...for me my money is on the Korry's ads, Saul was such an amazing promoter...

Also, Bay Bloor Radio's "If you miss it, you miss it tag line, that is priceless and memorable. Sol did a great job of being memorable and having a fabulous "positioning" strategy.

One other ad that get's honourable mention was Earl Warren with Caeey Togtema, for Ontario Chrysler, "That's right  Earrrrlll"! 

Pete and Geets used to Lampoon Ontario Chrysler's ads, when Geets did traffic he would yell out "volume Earl, volume"! 

|

What were or are your fave commercials,. please share.

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (May 5, 2024 1:45 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

May 5, 2024 3:42 pm  #2

Re: An ode to ads...

I second Korry's ... "5-6-9 Danforth Avenue."

May 5, 2024 3:59 pm  #3

I can't seem to find them anywhere, but if you lived in Vancouver from the 1950s well into the 1970s at least you could not get away from TV ads for Broadway Credit Clothiers.
The same ads ran for decades, 
But they would have versions for all four seasons.
The copy was always the same -- "Men, dress up for (season) at Broadway Credit Clothiers.  Look and listen, men, get an extra suit for an extra dollar at Broadway.  Or if you don't want the extra suit for yourself, get one for a relative or friend
Get an extra suit for an extra dollar at Broadway, 50 easy paces west of Main, Vancouver!
The suits were, frankly terrible.  Cheap and ill fitting off the rack.
But they were also cheap in price so you could wear them for a year or so then throw them away.
To this day if I meet someone from Vancouver who probably lived in the era, I can say, "Men, dress up for (season) at Broadway, and they instantly laugh and finish the quote.

May 5, 2024 4:03 pm  #4

I know your topic is troll bait but the radio equivalent of Eve eating the apple was the Queesnboro corporation securing airtime to pimp their swampland.

May 5, 2024 4:07 pm  #5

I always fondly remember the Honest Ed jingle: "H-O-N-E-S-T-E-D Honest Ed's, Crazy Honest Ed's". It's around somewhere, although I can't quite find it anywhere on the web at the moment. 

This isn't a radio spot at all, but in my journey through some ancient newspapers, I came across this food ad that makes my mouth water - not for the items listed but for those prices!

May 5, 2024 6:44 pm  #6

RA, look at the prices, if you showed kids today, they'd never believe you!  

(Cheers man)

RadioActive wrote:

I always fondly remember the Honest Ed jingle: "H-O-N-E-S-T-E-D Honest Ed's, Crazy Honest Ed's". It's around somewhere, although I can't quite find it anywhere on the web at the moment. 

This isn't a radio spot at all, but in my journey through some ancient newspapers, I came across this food ad that makes my mouth water - not for the items listed but for those prices!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

May 5, 2024 7:53 pm  #7

Why do more Canadians shop at Dominion, than any other store. Why it's mainly because of the meat!

May 5, 2024 8:53 pm  #8

There are a lot of radio ads I can't stand, but one that hasn't quite worn out its welcome for me (and I almost like) is the Two Men & A Truck jingle you hear constantly during the Jays' games. It's catchy and fun. 

May 5, 2024 9:29 pm  #9

The original lyrics for Honest Ed's was "He sells pins and needles, shoes and sock, shirts and ties and household wax, cigarettes, lighters and guns. H-O-N-E-S-T-E-D. Honest Ed's Crazy Honest Ed's.

"They cut the cigarettes, lighters and guns" out.

May 5, 2024 9:35 pm  #10

Doug Thompson wrote:

The original lyrics for Honest Ed's was "He sells pins and needles, shoes and sock, shirts and ties and household wax, cigarettes, lighters and guns. H-O-N-E-S-T-E-D. Honest Ed's Crazy Honest Ed's.

"They cut the cigarettes, lighters and guns" out.

Yes, that's the one! It ran endlessly on CHUM and other stations in the 60s, with a Caribbean beat if I remember correctly. 

May 6, 2024 7:54 pm  #11

I believe I've mentioned previously that Barrie's CKVR was the station most often seen on our TV in the Collingwood area, as well as the Lindsay-Peterborough area after we moved there in the late '80s. Given we watched so much of Channel 3's programming, many of their advertisers (and, in many cases, jingles) became very familiar to us. Among them:

-Foley's (Collingwood) - "You can buy the best of things, at Foley's Furnishings"
-Phil Walker's Huronia Ford (Barrie) - "The right choice right now!"
-Herbie's (Barrie) with Herb Title himself usually chirping his competitors, e.g. Miracle Food Mart, Sobeys, and a rare BiWay Drug World location
-Dunlop's (Moonstone) - "We go out of our way, 'cause you go out of your way, we're out of the way, but we're out of this world!"
-Knob Hill Farms (Weston Rd location) with CKVR staff announcer Doug Moyle on the voiceovers, and those oh so '80s Quantafont Q8 graphics

Last edited by Forward Power (May 6, 2024 7:58 pm)

May 6, 2024 8:12 pm  #12

At one time, Knob Hill Farms was one of the major (in some cases, the only) advertiser on radio stations overnight. They ran constantly on just about every station from midnight-6 AM.

May 7, 2024 1:04 pm  #13

I do like the new Sonnet Insurance TV campaign. For one, it's an actual campaign with varying spots running. Second - the pitchwoman has a great delivery and wonderful facial expressions.

Sidebar re: campaigns - sporting event sponsors should do this. Seeing the same Tim Hortons ad in every break during the World Junior Hockey tournament is just mind-numbing. Telling a story in a series of ads is far more effective.

May 7, 2024 1:49 pm  #14

ABC puts value tops
The laundry detergent that makes good sense
In a one pound two pound three pound box
At thirty nine, sixty nine and ninety nine cents.
ABC detergent

May 8, 2024 8:14 am  #15

Calhame wrote:

ABC puts value tops
The laundry detergent that makes good sense
In a one pound two pound three pound box
At thirty nine, sixty nine and ninety nine cents.
ABC detergent

I haven't seen ABC laundry detergent in years. Once a staple of Colgate/Palmolive, it has been produced by Phoenix Brands since 2005.

May 8, 2024 8:31 am  #16

Didn't the late, great radio vet Don Daynard once do a TV ad for ABC? Or was it Sunlight?

May 8, 2024 9:30 am  #17

RadioActive wrote:

Didn't the late, great radio vet Don Daynard once do a TV ad for ABC? Or was it Sunlight?

He sure did! 

May 8, 2024 10:09 am  #18

Thanks for finding that. Is there anything that's not on YouTube?

I hope the results from the wash were "Dazzlin!"

May 8, 2024 10:25 am  #19

By the way, the video above is from an interesting YouTube website called "RetroTy," a similar site to the great "Retrontario," which has a lot of local Toronto and Southern Ontario content. Both are worth a visit. 

The former also has a few radio items:

May 8, 2024 9:23 pm  #20

What will we be talking about decades from now?  Fiona?  Sarah (either Spence or GotJunk)?  Nonsensical Subaru idiocy?  Frank Leo?  Not likely.

May 8, 2024 9:45 pm  #21

I'm sure there will be another idiotic campaign in the future that will rankle listeners as much as the current ones do.

And by the way, I will never figure out why Alpine Credits changed their commercials from that guy answering phone calls to the very stupid "agents who all claim to have super powers." Those are terrible. At least the previous guy was listenable and sometimes even fun. 

May 9, 2024 12:53 am  #22

I like the Meow mix TV ads, but one really stands out as very creative, and indeed worthy of mention as a great timeless classic TV ad. 
A husband singing
"Beer beer beer beer..." thinking his wife will bring him a beer...nope! Doesn't work that way! 

Last edited by Radiowiz (May 9, 2024 2:17 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 9, 2024 6:48 am  #23

I can't believe no one has mentioned these yet - the classic Alka-Seltzer spots from the 60s and 70s. They won many Clio Awards for best advertising and for a while became part of the language. From "spicy meatballs" and "marshmallowed meatballs" to "I can't believe I ate the whole thing," they were some of the most memorable TV spots ever. 

(And let's not forget the ad that introduced "Whatever Shape Your Stomach's In," which actually became a Top 40 hit.)

May 9, 2024 7:52 am  #24

The T-Bones [actually the Wrecking Crew] peaked at #3 on the Hot 100 with this tune. Any idea who did the music in the commercial?

May 9, 2024 11:36 am  #25

Another great series of spots in the 60s came from Volkswagen and its Beetle. 

The first one is the funeral and the second is the snow plow, answering the eternal question about how the the guy who drives it gets there.

May 9, 2024 11:54 am  #26

RadioActive wrote:

I can't believe no one has mentioned these yet - the classic Alka-Seltzer spots from the 60s and 70s.

Those were great ads, but where's the jingle? I guess it came later? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 9, 2024 1:24 pm  #27

OK, one last one. And one of the best ever. It aired around 1971. I'm betting you can sing the chorus.

But it almost never happened. 

'You Deserve a Break Today.' The Story of the Classic McDonald's Jingle That Almost Wasn't

May 9, 2024 2:31 pm  #28

Notice something?
I guess back in 1971 women did not exist.
Yet in my memory even back in 1971 when I went to McDonald's I would almost always be served by a woman (girl).

May 9, 2024 5:50 pm  #29

Fun thread, thanks guys, keep 'em coming.

May 9, 2024 6:06 pm  #30

Here's one of the most famous TV ads of all time. It cost a fortune to make, was directed by Ridley Scott and incredibly, only aired once - on the 1984 Super Bowl. It's still visually stunning.