sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 8, 2024 8:46 am  #1

Billboard Lists Every Cdn. Artist That Hit #1 In Hot 100 History

It won't surprise you that from the 50s to the 70s (and to some extent the 80s) the list of Canadian artists who have reached the heights of the Billboard Hot 100 are not exactly plentiful. But that changed with the coming of the new century and you can see the entire list on their site.

So who has the honour of being the first ever Canuck at the top when the Hot 100 was instituted? It was Paul Anka's "Lonely Boy," which did it in 1959, followed a year later by Percy Faith's instrumental smash "Theme From A Summer Place." More native Canadans were to follow. 

Every Canadian Artist Who Has Had More Than One No. 1 Hit on the Billboard Hot 100

May 8, 2024 9:33 am  #2

Re: Billboard Lists Every Cdn. Artist That Hit #1 In Hot 100 History

Interesting list, but I noticed one significant error regarding when "You Needed Me" hit #1 ... it should be 1978, rather than 1985. I can only guess that this may be because it was supposed to be the same year as the preceding entry ("Hot Child In The City"), but they accidentally used the year of the following entry ("Heaven") instead. 

May 9, 2024 7:44 am  #3

Thanks for sharing RA, interesting read!

May 9, 2024 8:32 am  #4

The song listed for 1978 is Hot Child in the City. Nick Glider. I've heard his name pronounced as Nick Gilder. Is the listing in the article misspelled, or has everyone been saying his name incorrectly ?

May 9, 2024 11:12 am  #5

Apparently proof read by a 20-something?

Brutal

May 9, 2024 4:52 pm  #6

Also there were many songs by Canadian artists that didn't reach number one on Billboard Top 100  but came close.  The Stampeders- Sweet City Woman #8, Len- Steal My Sunshine #9, Tom Cochran- Life Is A Highway #6 and apparently Blood Sweat and Tears had three songs reach #2 with You've Made Me So Very Happy, Spinning Wheel, and When I Die, but none that went to #1 on the Billboard Top 100. 

Here is a list of well known artists like CCR, Bruce Springsteen, James Brown and others that have never had a number one Hot 100 hit on Billboard..https://www.billboard.com/photos/surprising-artists-who-never-had-hot-100-no-1-hit/1-one-direction/