sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 9, 2024 8:41 pm  #1

The Lake 102.7 Kingston Alters Format

No longer with a "Breeze" style of format, Kingston's Lake 102.7 seems to be emphasising the music of the 70's and 60's much more now. Maybe during the day they are playing more recent gold but listening this evening definately the focus is 70's and a smattering of 60's.   And very few commercials. The stations promotes 20 songs in a row, not sure this is a big selling point for listeners.  Certainly not for advertisers.  https://mybroadcasting.streamb.online/25-KINGSTON-WLYK-4013921426/streamb-popup 

Last edited by paterson1 (May 9, 2024 8:41 pm)

May 9, 2024 9:10 pm  #2

Re: The Lake 102.7 Kingston Alters Format

Bring back The Pole! 

May 10, 2024 1:04 am  #3

I've noticed also, they're playing the "standard play" versions of some songs that traditionally may have been sped up just a tad to fit more commercials in on other stations out there...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 10, 2024 8:09 am  #4

I can give you some context.   

While we're waiting for CRTC approval for CFLY and CKLC we are experimenting a bit with 102.7. It's fun to hear some of these tracks on the radio.

We have one important upgrade at the tower that will be completed in the next few weeks.

At that point... all the stuff from the whiteboard will be put into action.

Can't wait!

If you want to play along...

What would your programming brain put on:

I think we've considered every possible combo on the planet - but maybe you can surprise us?

JP

May 10, 2024 11:20 am  #5

JON POLE wrote:

I can give you some context.   

While we're waiting for CRTC approval for CFLY and CKLC we are experimenting a bit with 102.7. It's fun to hear some of these tracks on the radio.

We have one important upgrade at the tower that will be completed in the next few weeks.

At that point... all the stuff from the whiteboard will be put into action.

Can't wait!

If you want to play along...

What would your programming brain put on:

I think we've considered every possible combo on the planet - but maybe you can surprise us?

JP

I believe 98.3 was an alternative station so my vote is alternative. And then the Pole should for sure make a comeback. The format was awesome. Not sure about 98.9 but I am sure whatever you do it will be good

May 10, 2024 1:26 pm  #6

I don't know much about the Kingston radio market, but for it's size looks to be very competitive with stations on both sides of the border. So, for what it's worth.. 

For your weakest station (listenership and revenue) maybe consider an AAA format or alternative, assuming neither are currently available.   I listened to the Lake last night for about 90 minutes, not bad and maybe the new addition of the 70's and some 60's selections is worth leaving for a while.  Again assuming that this isn't already happening, and if you want to stick strickly with music.

On 102.7 you could have a partial talk format.  Lots of opportunity for cross border talk and political phone in shows.  Something that 102.7 could do since you are under FCC rules and wouldn't need approval to add some talk.  The station could stick with the current music but have some local talk shows, maybe mid morning and or afternoon drive, and some syndicated talk or sports on weekends.  I would stay away from US shoutfest talk programs.

Why does the Lake's website still say playing 20K in a row?  As much as I enjoyed The Pole, not so sure this format has "legs."  Good luck John!